As of January 1, 2006 all Berry’s residents will need to have registered with the Town prior to voting.
The federal “Help American Vote Act of 2002” requires any person registering to vote to supply his or her Wisconsin Department of Transportation-issued driver’s license number.
Electors who have not been issued a Wisconsin driver’s license must provide the last four digits of their Social Security Number OR their Wisconsin state ID card number.
If the elector does not have a current, valid Wisconsin driver’s license, Wisconsin state ID card, or Social Security Number, the applicant may indicate this by filling in the appropriate circle on the registration form. (Box 2 on EL-131)
Contact the town clerk at 767-4152 if you have not filled out a Voter Registration Form (EL-131) or download the form here.
Anyone wishing to vote has three options to register:
1. BY MAIL: Download the Application for Voter Registration (EL-131), complete the form and mail it to Town of Berry, 9046 State Road 19, Mazomanie, WI 53560. The application must be postmarked no later than the 20th day (3rd Wednesday) before the election.
PLEASE NOTE: State and federal law now requires that any voter submitting a registration application by mail provide a copy of an acceptable identifying document that provides proof of residence. Acceptable forms of proof of residence are outlined below. The copy of the form of proof of residence must be included when submitting the registration application.
2. IN PERSON: Register in the municipal clerk’s office up to 5:00 PM or the close of business whichever is later on the Friday before the election and begins again on Election Day. Note: An elector registering in person in the clerk’s office is required to present acceptable proof of residence as outlined below.
3. AT THE POLLING PLACE ON ELECTION DAY: If you wish to register to vote at your polling place, you must bring proof that you have lived at your present location for at least 10 consecutive days preceding the election. For purposes of voter registration, acceptable forms of proof of residence must include:
- A current and complete name, including both the given and family name; and
- A current and complete residential address, including a numbered street address, if any, and the name of a municipality.
Acceptable forms of proof of residence are:
- A current and valid Wisconsin driver license or identification card
- Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
- Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card
- A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election
- A university, college, or technical college identification card (must include photo) ONLY if the voter provides a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months or the institution provides a certified housing list to the municipal clerk
- A gas, electric, or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing no earlier than 90 days before Election Day
- Bank statement
- A check or other document issued by a unit of government
- An affidavit on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual’s residence for voting purposes
- Residential lease that is effective on date of registration (not valid if registering by mail or through a non-SRD voter registration drive)